Schedule permitting, I’m planning to go to an event at the end of the month, and I’m hoping to have a full 10th century Polish outfit wearable for it. Can I get it all pulled together in two weeks? Stay tuned, because no one knows!
Step one was to make myself some temple rings. Between Wednesday and today I made four sets of varying styles, as well as wove two narrow bands and mounted two sets on them. A third, wider, band is still on my loom, but I should be able to finish it tonight.
I used three different wires in the making of all of these. The first two sets are made with a 12 gauge copper colored aluminum wire. The third set is made with the 12 gauge, along with 20 gauge copper wire, and the last set is made with 16 gauge brass wire. For tools I used wire cutters, needle nosed pliers, silicone pliers, and bent nosed pliers, along with a narrow heavy cardboard tube for shaping.
I made a set of six simple S-bend rings. Using the needle-nosed pliers I bent in the distinctive S-curve that gives the style it’s name, then wrapped it around the cardboard tube to form the ring itself. For this set I opted to simply cut the excess wire off, leaving these rings open at the end. I then sewed them onto a narrow linen green and tan band I’d woven on my inkle loom, using a basic separated checkerboard pattern.
This is a Rus style, rather than Polish, (Severin, if I’m remembering correctly) but it’s just a simple spiral with a loop at the top. I haven’t attached these to a band yet, I’m not sure if and when I will.
This set was fun to make! I’m honestly not sure exactly where this style traces back to. I actually saw a set in silver on Etsy and liked the look of it, so I copied it. I used the 20 gauge copper wire to make a long spiral, wrapping it around a spare piece of the 12 gauge wire. After sliding it off the piece, I then took it and rewrapped it around the 12 gauge to make the coiled spring in the second picture. From there it was easy to just slide it onto an already bent ring! While I originally made these as S-bend closures as well, before I sewed them onto the band I trimmed the extra curve off, making it a simple eye closure. The band was woven in black and white to imitate an embattled border on either side. Since this is also a slightly fancier style, I also intend to baste the front of the band to a veil, once I find my fine white linen. The stash seems to have eaten it.
I just made this set a little while ago, out of 16 gauge brass wire. These are also a simple S-bend style, but I made these with a closed loop, unlike the copper pair above. The plan is to whip them onto the band I’m currently weaving, which is much wider than the first two I made. I’m debating basting it onto a veil as well, though probably not a white one, unlike the above band.
Now that I’m rolling in temple rings, I need to make the clothes to go with!